As a mother of three children under six years old who owns her own company, I spend a lot of time doing one thing while thinking I “should” be doing another. Sometimes I’m building Legos with the kids and I’ll remember I’m on deadline for something I’m writing. Other times I’m sitting at the computer responding to a client or doing research on my target audience, only to have a nagging feeling that I should be back downstairs drawing silly sketches or playing hide and seek with the kids.And I know I’m not alone. Mothers in business, “mompreneurs”, have particular challenges when it comes to the issue of balancing business and babies. Without question, priority #1 is my family. I chose to be a mother a while back and have no doubt that this is exactly who I am supposed to be. But my journey to become a mother who also has a fulfilling career has been a not-so-graceful dance between passion, commitment, ambition, guilt, joy and inspiration. Can we truly have it all?
I’m collecting thoughts, witticisms, rants and such from women who are the primary caretakers of their family and who own their own businesses or who want to return to work but feel conflicted about it. If this describes you, please post your comments here.
Some questions to ponder:
- Why do you (want to) work?
- What are your biggest challenges as a mother/business owner?
- Does your husband/significant other support your choice to pursue a career?
- Does your work satisfy you? If so, why?
- What do you have to sacrifice to be a “mompreneur”?
- What is the most gratifying part of your work?
- What inspires you?
- What do you hope to teach your children by being a mother/business owner?
- What does “success” mean to you?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!