Mom, business owner… day job? When you’re CEO (Chief Everything Officer) of your business, sometimes this is what your startup company looks like. But you know the old adage, “It’s hard work but somebody’s got to do it!” So if you’re a mompreneur who is dedicated to putting your family first, starting your own business, AND still working hard at your day job, here are some of my favorite sanity-savers to help you power through this challenging, yet exciting time in your life.
TIME MANAGEMENT: Here comes the tough talk, sisters. If you are a mompreneur and still working a day job, it is not a long-term option for you to keep working around the clock, doing what needs to be done whenever you can find a moment. That approach is not going to lead to business success. So here are three sanity-savers to help you get a quick grip on time management:
1. GET A ROUTINE: If the kids are in school, craft your routine around their school day, where possible. If they’re not, or if you work your day job until after they’re home, it is necessary for you to get a sitter. Having someone available to watch the kids, get them dinner, and orchestrate the bath/bedtime dance even a couple nights a week can mean the difference between a successful, rested and present mom and a frazzled, exhausted and harried one. You only have 24 hours in a day, so designate that time in such a way that you can make each moment count, for your family and your business.
2. CREATE BOUNDARIES: You cannot say yes to everything! Ultimately, you are the only one who can choose how you spend these precious hours that you have. Remember that saying no to one thing is the ability to say yes to the things that matter most. So get used to saying no!
3. USE THE ADD METHOD: Automate, Delegate, or Ditch it! Get things off your plate that are not your strengths or that don’t matter to you. This is a huge part of spending your time wisely.
PLANNING: We all know that leaving everything until the last minute is a recipe for disaster, but constantly going full speed ahead is a sure path to burnout as well. We’ve all heard the saying, “Fail to plan and plan to fail.” It’s true! Here are a couple strategies to keep you sane while you plan for success.
1. BABY STEPS: As mompreneurs, we have to be okay with baby steps toward our goals. The best way to keep track of the ground we’re making is by having a fabulous business plan. It’s so important to be able to measure those baby steps against our greater vision. It may be slow going, but baby steps will get us there every time.
2. GET A MARKETING PLAN: Modern technology allows us all to be amazing marketers for our business, so take advantage of that. But if marketing is really not your thing, don’t be afraid to apply the ADD Method to this one! Do what you’re best at and then automate, delegate or ditch the rest!
SUPPORT: If you want to preserve your sanity, you’re going to need support. You cannot do this all by yourself. Family, friends, a VA… a housekeeper, for crying out loud! Life is too short to try and do it alone. Get the help you need and focus those moneymaking talents in the ways that matter most.
I hope these sanity-saving strategies are helpful to you as you work toward living the dream of growing that business you know is going to give the freedom, flexibility and fulfillment you’re searching for as a mompreneur.
I love hearing from you, so leave me a comment!
Which of these sanity-saving strategies have you tried?
Are there any others you’ve had success with on your mompreneur journey?