Blog

Lara's blog is full of great ideas, straight from real coaching appointments!

10 Time Management Tips for Mompreneurs

02 September

If you feel like you’re constantly juggling motherhood and running a business, it’s time to take a hard look at how you spend your time. And in the interest of brevity, I’m making this post just a list of bullet points. If you’d like to hear a little more detail on my suggestions, you can tune into my Audio Blog on the Mom Biz Coach Radio Show by clicking here.

10 Time Management Tips for Mompreneurs

• Create a schedule for Monday through Friday.
  • Create blocks or “chunks” of time in each day.
  • Make appointments for yourself in your calendar (such as Google calendar) just as you would schedule meetings you have with other people.
  • Buy a kitchen timer—Set it for a specific amount of time to accomplish a certain task. Stop doing the task when your time is up and move to the next task in your schedule.
  • Consider when you feel most energized, and when you need to slow down or take breaks. Create your schedule for the day accordingly.
  • Do HPAs (High Pay-off Actions–the ones that give you the most bang for your buck) in the morning.
  • Alternate between mental focus and physical movement.
  • Include your household tasks as part of your day—laundry, grocery shopping, meal planning and prep, signing papers, doing homework with children.
  • Develop a routine with your children so they know what to expect and are prepared for it each day.
  • Get the hard stuff out of the way, and then give yourself a reward (take a healthy snack break, take a walk, do a yoga class, read a magazine, call a friend to chat. If you enjoy reading email, surfing the web, browsing around twitter and facebook but feel these things take up too much of your time, give yourself 15 minutes of one of these as a reward after doing your tough tasks/HPAs a couple times per day)
    Got some tips of your own to share? Please leave a comment!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

13 Responses to “10 Time Management Tips for Mompreneurs”

1. Katie Duckworth September 2, 2009 at 7:26 pm #

Great stuff! Here’s something I’ve found incredibly useful and encourage my clients to do at times of overwhelm. Calmly tell yourself ‘there is plenty of time, there is plenty of time.’ It’s amazing how it affects how you feel – even if you think you ‘know’ it’s not true!

Cheers
    Katie
    .-= Katie Duckworth´s last blog ..How to survive the school holidays =-.

2. Bethany L. September 3, 2009 at 2:19 am #

These are great tips! I’ve heard most of them before in one form or another, but I constantly need reminders. This year I’m really focusing on getting a real handle on the way I spend my time during the week, so this was timely. Thanks for sharing!
    .-= Bethany L.´s last blog ..When I Want Your Opinion, I’ll Give It to You! =-.

3. Lara Galloway September 3, 2009 at 11:57 am #

Thanks, Bethany. I am fond of saying that most of the work I do as a coach “is not rocket science,” but instead really simple stuff that we need to hear a certain way at a certain time in order to actually get it. BTW…have to say I love the title of your latest blogpost, so I’m headed over now to go read it!

4. Eric Doggett September 4, 2009 at 2:09 pm #

Great tips! and I would add that these are equally applicable to dads that work out of the house too :)
    .-= Eric Doggett´s last blog ..Jennifer =-.

5. Lara Galloway September 4, 2009 at 2:42 pm #

Thanks for that, Eric. What sort of work do you do outside the house? When my husband is home with us on the weekends, he’s really good about alternating between mental work, relaxing/playing with the kids, getting some exercise outdoors, and then doing the manual labor chores. He gets a lot done that way. I appreciate you stopping by!

6. Lara Galloway September 4, 2009 at 2:48 pm #

Yes, that’s a great idea, Katie. I’m fond of saying “Whatever you believe is true!” So if you practice saying/declaring that there’s plenty of time, it helps you adjust from a mindset of stress and overwhelm into one of power. I think it’s like putting a smile on your face and trying not to be happy… Thanks for the comment! Nice to know folks in the UK are tuning in :-) Headed off to read your blog now…

7. Jennifer Hollander April 27, 2010 at 4:37 am #

Great list Lara! Love the clock pic!! I plan on covering some of the same points in my ‘Get control of your documents” teleclass next week. Loving your 9 Secrets to Target Market Series btw!

Chat soon ~ Jennifer

8. Chun-Soon August 23, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

Thanks for the list, and for making it bulleted. The messenger is the meaning, here.

I had an idle twenty seconds this morning between work, baby, cleaning the house and breakfast. This post was worth reading!

9. Lara Galloway August 23, 2011 at 1:01 pm #

Glad the telegraphic messaging did the trick!

10. Kim Constable May 9, 2012 at 11:13 am #

The time blocking works brilliantly for me.  I use my iCal to block out time for each day and then make sure I stick to it.  It helps me to feel totally in control and not feel like I should be doing something more meaningful when I’m doing laundry.  It’s easy to become overwhelmed with all the tasks we have to do, when we’re juggling it all.  Time blocking completely overcomes this for me!  :)

11. Lara Galloway May 9, 2012 at 11:22 am #

And doesn’t it feel great to know that you’ve actually considered your priorities and planned the time needed to handle them? I love your comment about feeling in control and not wasting time worrying that you should be doing something else. What a relief!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention 10 Time Management Tips for Mompreneurs | mombizcoach.com Blog -- Topsy.com - September 3, 2009

[...] this page was mentioned by Lara Galloway (@mombizcoach), Beth (@pagesofourlife), Amanda Padgett (@readingtofour), Mary Freeland (@maryfreeland), Candace Alper (@nameyourtunecds) and others. [...]

2. eric doggett - March 31, 2010

[...] of … One Response to Recently Published Fortune Eric Doggett, on February 22nd, 2010 at 4:59 …10 Time Management Tips for Mompreneurs | Mom Biz CoachIf you feel like you're constantly juggling motherhood and running a business, it's time to take a [...]